Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

I am blessed to be the mother of 4 incredible children.  My oldest son is 22 and has down syndrome, my youngest son is 21, my oldest daughter is 12 and has Reactive Attatchment Disorder, and my youngest most rambunctious child is 10 and she is SEVERELY ADHD.  My husband and I were forturnate to adopt all 4 of our children and the boys are natural siblings and the girls are natural siblings but they all 4 are not related. 
My oldest Daughter Sarah is a beautiful redhead who has some mental issues dealing with not bonding with a parent at a very young age. This week we are starting the process of transistioning her out of a behavioral school into a regular middle school.  Part of her disorder is that she has NO personal boundries with others.....and guess what she said when she got in the car today....."Mom there is a Middle School Dance on Friday"  can I go?
My heart just sunk......now before you weigh in .....let me explain that my oldest son we have always treated as if there wasn't anything wrong with him, he went to dances, prom EVERYTHING high school had to offer.  I am struggling because people don't see a Mental Illness.  They can see the outward disability with Joshua and are a lot more forgiving.  With Sarah it's different you can't look at her and know anything is wrong therefore when she acts like she does....you kind of go huh????
So what do I do......I want her to go and be a "normal tween" (isn't that an oxymoron?) I want her to live life to the fullest but I also want to protect her from kids that don't understand........Please feel free to weigh in and let me know what you think.
Tonight's image is Princess Anya from The Greeting Farm stamps.  Since I am blessed to be the mother of 2 beautiful princesses, I thought as I struggled I would make a card using this image. 
Here is a video  showing you how to color this image using the Copic Markers. Enjoy......happy stamping!!!!! xoxo Stephanie!!!!!!!
 .  

No comments:

Post a Comment